Saturday, March 7, 2009

People Mover in Detroit – riding the rails

The light elevated transit system installed in Detroit is know as the People Mover. It is a system of cars that make a loop around the business district of downtown Detroit.

Here are a couple of links for more information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_People_Mover
http://www.thepeoplemover.com/Station-Guide.id.3.htm

The total time of one loop around (about 2.9 miles) is 12 to 15 minutes. The cost is a 50 cent token that can be purchased at any of the stations. The cars travel in groups of 2 and most of them are painted with advertising.

I took the trip  (3 times around) and of course used my camera to record the event. The elevated view lets you see the buildings and street scenes from a different angle of view.

Here are a few of the shots taken this past week.

Click on the ‘View Full Album’ to see what I saw.

The shots were taken on a dull gray day through dirty glass on the car. Also note some of the photos have reflections.

Enjoy your mini tour of the streets of Detroit from the People Mover.

1 comment:

Daya said...

It took some effort to post a comment. I had to really maneuver. Here goes: I think your photos are awesome. You have a knack for seeing that goes beyond what my brain usually processes. I enjoyed riding the rails with you last week, seeing the city skyline again with fresh eyes. Then after viewing your photos, I was able to see even more. It is interesing to ponder how the brain takes in images and processes them. We see so much and we miss so much. Thank you for assisting in the process. I wish you could post all of those pics! Keep up the good work.